Journal Pages

I used a bleach pen to write the word "Journal". When you are using the bleach pen, be ready to write as the bleach comes out pretty darn fast!!! This is on Canson paper and I really like how it turned out. The drapery trim was given to me and I attached it to the bottom of the book.

My friend, Pat Lynn, showed me a journal idea when I attended one of her workshops. I took a photo from a magazine and then extended the photo using color pencils. You could make your own drawings small or large. This was my first effort and I was happy with the result.


I like layering images on text or vice versa. I used brush lettering on ticket stubs to write out the quote.


I decided to splice a magazine photo into three parts for this layout. I used the bottom of the ticket stubs as an embellishment for the pictures. The alphabet was using a Pentel brush pen.


After I recorded some information in my journal, I added a photo on the next page so I wanted to punch out circles so you could see bits of the picture from this page.


This is the back of the last page....and I wanted to carry on with that theme.


Now you can see the full photo. I really like "windows" that peer into the next page. It doesn't matter to me the shape that the "windows" take....circles, squares, or torn holes.


I used a "cola" pen to write the word "art" and I bent the pen in two. I pressed too hard as I was trying for lots of "chatter". I will have to make another pen! So to fix where the pen broke, I added paste paper that I made with a stamped image. Problem fixed!


The background I was trying for on this page didn't happen. I need to find really tiny, tiny straws! The one I used was for stirring coffee and it was too large. I placed a drop of FW Acrylics and then used the straw directly over the drop of ink and puffed air to move the ink. If you use the smallest straw, you'll get a star burst pattern. I actually chased the ink all around the page for fun because I didn't get the first result I was looking for. You can see from the right side where I punched out three square holes. You are looking at a piece of paste paper that is behind this page.


This is the paste paper that I made. I really loved the colors that I made and now have officially used all of it!!


I have five different journals that I am working on right now. All are for different themes. My "workhorse" journals are NOT "journals" even though I call them "journals". They are only for taking notes, writing an address or directions to somewhere or ideas. There is nothing cohesive about the workhorse journals. I always have one of those types of books in my bag at all times. But the other 5 journals that I work in are done in my studio and those journals contain my art! My workhorse journals do not contain my art.

3 comments:

Terri said...

Your Journals Look Great! Thanks for sharing the process. When our art group was doing the round robin I put trim on the bottom of each of the ladies pages that I did. I like the trim you selected for your journal. It just gives it that something extra.

Deb L. said...

Good morning Sara! Your journal is ownderful - full of great design ideas. And I also love the dollhouse... your niece must be in heaven! Enjoy the weekend ~ Deb

Kim Rae Nugent said...

Hi Sara,
Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. I adore your Journals. Your lettering is beautiful. A lot of other fun things to look at here too!
Have a great day!
Warm regards,
Kim