Cowgirl Annie

I absolutely think the new Tim Holtz Alterations Texture Fades are FAB!

A dark brown Copic marker was used on the black metal after it was lightly sanded. The same color marker was used to change the gold color name plate to coordinate with the bingo card.

I've taken a Copic marker class from Allie and it was definitely worth the time and $$!

Allie taught me the technique for altering the star chipboard. This special technique gives so much dimension to such a small item! She'll be happy to teach you this technique, too!

The vintage photo was from my stash and I thought the little girl in the photo looked like a precious cowgirl. So I gave her instant history as Annie Oakley! The trim at the bottom was purchased from a delightful quilt shop in Arkansas.

Everything was mounted onto a black matboard and edged with a copper pen. Copper eyelets were inserted. The final touch was the twine knotted for hanging.

Oh...Go Fly A Kite!

This is a kite I made for Allie for an art exchange. She picked out the paper when we were on a road trip in St. the hardest part was already done for me......picking out the delicious paper.

I made my decision on how I was going to make her kite....I was going to follow the theme going along with the tiny little white birds on the paper.

The kite is quite large so I couldn't photograph the whole project.

I do want to say that the kite frame is made totally from twigs which I thought was appropriate. The very top branch has a fork and extends maybe another eight inches from the top. I left the horizontal branch long on one side only.

This is the opposite side of the kite. There is no "front or back". The music background paper is also vintage. Again, a special thanks to Susan of Stamp Diva for showing me how to make rosettes!

The eggs inside the nest came from a vintage pearl necklace.

I used grunge board material for the bird. I painted it first using gesso, then used Ranger's Dabbers in white and blue for the colors. The last application was Rock Candy Crackle.

Then I mounted the bird onto matboard so my stamp sentiment sign would hang level with the bird. I added a rosette made from the paper Allie chose to lift the bird from the background.

An antique key holds the sign. I am challenged in using jump rings and wire so my husband added that part for me! Thanks Bill! Of course, I couldn't resist the added swirl of gems. The visual weight of the gems balances the long branch on the opposite side.

After stamping the quote, I used a silverleaf pen on the border and then mounted it on chocolate and green card stock.

I cut the bird from another paper and layered on top of the music paper.

I previously dyed tags using tea and coffee. You can never have too many in your supply to use when you need them. For this particular tag, I did cut it to the size I wanted for my project. Amber gems are my bling.

After sewing the kite papers together using gold thread, I added the tail. I used a wide chocolate ribbon with a smaller width of blue ribbon as the "bow ties".

Allie has high ceilings in her store where she wanted to display all the kites she is receiving from our art group. So I think the tall branches and long tail will display well.

By the Beach

This was also a Saturday class that I took at Croppinsville Studio. It is using a canvas and papers from the Graphics 45 collection.

The back of the canvas is completely finished so that this can be placed on an easel.

The starfish was an embellishment that I found on a street in San Antonio. I find myself looking at the ground when I walk from point A to point B. You never know what you'll find. It was a broken piece of jewelry. I painted it red and then added gold accents. The other silver/white embellishment in the corner was once an earring.

The tissue flower was made by Allie and is the perfect size, color, and texture to add interest to this piece.

This is a closer view of the details of the beach sign. If you are looking for special ribbons for your projects....Croppinsville has a great selection. She has a lot of new types of ribbons that I was only previously able to find in St. Louis!

This project was fun and gave me lots of ideas for future art making adventures!

Art Class - Metal Shadow Box


This is a metal class that I took on Saturday at Croppinsville Studio. I LOVE the space in which to learn and make art projects. Each student always has plenty of personal space, lighting is never an issue.....and the chairs - OMG they are the best.

I have taken classes in all sorts of stores so I can speak first hand that Croppinsville has amazing studio space.

I added one of my vintage cabinet cards that I purchased while in Minnesota. It is a photo of a brother and sister which I love. The photo already is distressed so I did not do anything extra.

I added a compass, clock and gear embellishment that I have owned for a very long time. At one point...I thought I should just move this piece on to someone else. But then when I was completing this was the perfect added item for the story. The metal fence is the final touch.

I am looking forward to making lots of things metal with my new tools and molds!

Thanks Debbie and Larry!

My very dear friends living in St. Louis always open their home to me and my friends! We've known each other for almost forty years.....and they are the best!
Thank you for such a wonderful visit, being our tour guide, and delicious conversation!

Paper Shoe

One of the exchange projects for our art group was making a paper shoe. I challenged myself to make a pump using a dice for the heel.

The base of the shoe is grungeboard paper. I used a white wire to sew around the shoe and this is what gave the shoe its shape.

This is the bottom of the shoe. I made the shoe several months ago but didn't take the time to photograph it until now.

Three pink paper roses were added as the embellishment. I think I'll make more shoes with different shapes and styles!