Oh...Go Fly A Kite!

This is a kite I made for Allie for an art exchange. She picked out the paper when we were on a road trip in St. Louis......so the hardest part was already done for me......picking out the delicious paper.

I made my decision on how I was going to make her kite....I was going to follow the theme going along with the tiny little white birds on the paper.

The kite is quite large so I couldn't photograph the whole project.

I do want to say that the kite frame is made totally from twigs which I thought was appropriate. The very top branch has a fork and extends maybe another eight inches from the top. I left the horizontal branch long on one side only.




This is the opposite side of the kite. There is no "front or back". The music background paper is also vintage. Again, a special thanks to Susan of Stamp Diva for showing me how to make rosettes!











The eggs inside the nest came from a vintage pearl necklace.












I used grunge board material for the bird. I painted it first using gesso, then used Ranger's Dabbers in white and blue for the colors. The last application was Rock Candy Crackle.


Then I mounted the bird onto matboard so my stamp sentiment sign would hang level with the bird. I added a rosette made from the paper Allie chose to lift the bird from the background.


An antique key holds the sign. I am challenged in using jump rings and wire so my husband added that part for me! Thanks Bill! Of course, I couldn't resist the added swirl of gems. The visual weight of the gems balances the long branch on the opposite side.







After stamping the quote, I used a silverleaf pen on the border and then mounted it on chocolate and green card stock.










I cut the bird from another paper and layered on top of the music paper.

I previously dyed tags using tea and coffee. You can never have too many in your supply to use when you need them. For this particular tag, I did cut it to the size I wanted for my project. Amber gems are my bling.






After sewing the kite papers together using gold thread, I added the tail. I used a wide chocolate ribbon with a smaller width of blue ribbon as the "bow ties".


Allie has high ceilings in her store where she wanted to display all the kites she is receiving from our art group. So I think the tall branches and long tail will display well.

1 comment:

FredaB said...

This is a wonderful idea. have run out of wall space but now we can start hanging things from the ceilings. Just joking but a good idea. You did a great job on it and thanks for the explanations you gave as you went along.

I have enjoyed reading you blog. glad I found you.

Hugs

FredaB